Willers Wanderings: One game to go

Willers Wanderings: One game to go


Senior County Cup Final

Darlington Mowden Park and West Hartlepool wrapped up the Durham County rugby season with an entertaining Senior Cup final at the North Echo arena.

On Thursday night,  the three league difference between the two teams proved too much for the visitors to overcome as they lost 64- 5.

West Hartlepool battled to the final whistle even though Mowden were consistently the stronger side.

It was my pleasure to present the trophy to the Mowden Park captain.

The match was played in front of a large crowd, as have the other County Cup finals this year.

My thanks go to the Cups Competition Committee who have done a great job in ensuring the timely completion of all competitions this season and my congratulation go to all of the winning clubs.

Darlington Mowden Park receiving Senior County Cup


Durham County Senior Men

Having missed the County Senior sides opening match victory last week, I  joined the squad for the match against Staffordshire.  This meant an early morning start for the trip to Lichfield RFC for the match.

The Durham boys started with a bang receiving the kick off and going through several phases to  score without Staffordshire having a touch of the ball.

The Durham backs gave the visitors an comforting start scoring each time they had the ball to build up a 17 point lead. On one of their rare attacks Staffordshire managed to score a converted try to reduce the Durham lead to ten points.

Durham scored at regular intervals to build a 41 – 7 lead. Staffordshire battled to end and were rewarded with a late try to make the final score a 41-14 victory for the visitors.

Pre match I presented playing shirts to two players who had graduated from the successful U20 team to  make their Senior County debut.  At the post match meal they also received their county tie from myself.

Kieron Clark receiving his county tie to mark his full county debut


This result sets up a crunch match away to Leicestershire next Saturday with the prize for the winner being a final at Twickenham the following week.